Crown Lengthening: A Powerful Tool for Healthier Gums and Better Crowns
Course Description: 50 million dental crowns are made in the US each year. Success is based on tooth preparation, the amount of clinical crown available, and if the biologic width is invaded. Naturally, more goes into fabricating a successful crown, but there are times when outcomes could be improved with judicious crown-lengthening.
Dr. James Fine to the rescue! Whether you just starting to perform crown-lengthening procedures or want to learn more about this important, vital step that affects crown outcomes, this course spells it out. Jim explains the whys and wherefores, and then how to do it. As critical as crown-lengthening is to the success of restorations, it is under-utilized. This course helps the dental professional learn why crown-lengthening protects the gingival health, reduces recession and can potentially extend the life of all restorations.
Course Objectives: After completing this course the participant should be able to:
- Evaluate proper tooth preparation
- Understand the importance of biologic width as it relates to margin stability
- Evaluate the biotypes of gingival tissue and how it relates to long-term outcomes of the prosthesis
- Understand the wound healing process after surgery
- Evaluate tooth size and shape
- Understand the biologic role of quality temporaries