Part of the UT Health San Antonio.
Education Objective: After completing this section, the participant should be able to:
Section 1 deals with the microbiological and pharmacological basis of antibacterial chemotherapy
- Discuss the etiology of odontogenic infections.
- Discuss the pharmacological basis of antibacterial chemotherapy in dentistry
- Understand the mechanisms and relevance of antibacterial drug resistance
Section 2 deals with the indications for and the selection of an appropriate antibacterial agent for the treatment of odontogenic infections.
- Develop a rational strategy for the medical management of acute odontogenic infections.
- Discuss current recommendations for the use of antibacterial prophylaxis
- Discuss potential adverse drug events.